Friday, January 8, 2010

Sweet Sweet Days

A snow day has got to be one of best perks of being a teacher. Usually, you have some idea that it is coming. Districts located close by start showing up on the bottom of your TV screen with the word "closed" next to them and your adrenalin starts to race! Students begin texting you, asking if we are off yet. Heck, I don't know - they usually know before me! People start posting on Facebook that this district and that district are off. My kids start doing the "snow dance." I keep looking outside up at the street light to see just how hard the snow (or ice) is coming down. I honestly think the build-up to finally KNOWING that you are off for sure is just so much fun!

Now don't get me wrong; I love my job. I really do.

When someone chooses to go to college, major in education, student teach, and finally acquire a teaching position all their own, it is pretty much given that they are going to have at least 10 weeks off sometime between May and August. We also get a nice Winter vacation and usually a few days off around Easter time. We also get bank/post office holidays. It's not a bad gig, really. Like I pointed out to someone today, however, if you are a GOOD teacher, you do just about as much work at home as what you do at school. And that's what "other" people often don't understand. But that's another story.

It's the days like yesterday and today that are so so sweet! When you think you are going to have to work and then poof! you don't - wow, that is AWESOME! It's like giving yourself 8 hours of nothing specific to do! When else does that ever happen? Shutting off the alarm and rolling back over after an early wake-up call announcing school is cancelled is one of the best feelings in the world for me. Knowing about it the night before is great too because you can stay up waaaayyy too late and do whatever! LOL!

Happy Snow Day everyone!

No comments: