Sunday, September 30, 2007

Come On Folks, It's Not That Hard

I am not perfect, not by any stretch of the imagination. But one thing I strive to do (and I believe having this blog has made me improve in this area) is speak correctly and write correctly. If you research my past blogs, however, I am sure you will find some grammatical errors and/or misuse of the English language. But one thing I do know is that I know how to use the words your and you're correctly. Three times within the past week have I seen these words misspelled or used incorrectly. It. Drives. Me. Crazy!!!

First, in the senior hallway at school, someone hung signs (like they often do) wishing someone else a happy birthday. It was the birthday person's 18th birthday and the sign read "Your 18!" Yes, this was the SENIOR hallway; you would think these kids know better by now, wouldn't you? Second, at my workout facility, on the white board where announcements are posted, again, it said something like "Your Invited." When I noticed this, there were 3 other teachers there and someone else had the guts to say something about it, thank goodness! And third, an invitation that I received in the mail said.....now get this one....."Your'e Invited." AUGH!!!! It's not that hard, people.....Your shows possession or that something belongs to you. You're means "you are." That's it. The apostrophe takes the place of the 'a.'

After seeing the sign at school, I made a point of telling my math students that if I was hiring people and they wrote something, anything, on their job application like "your invited," I would immediately turn down their application.

Now, with my luck, my own daughters will be people who have issues getting this straight!

1 comment:

Sara E said...

LOL.....too funny...... I love all the signs

...and.......
you might like to know...
Cooper came in town last night & we went to the Blues/Coyotes game ... ... we sat at the bad 3rd period goal..........oh so sad