Sunday, January 25, 2009

CHAMPIONS AGAIN!

OK, so I don't usually post more than once a day (or more than once every 3 days for that matter) but I have to write about the basketball game today. We won but not very easily. At halftime, the score was only 6-2 (us winning). Even for 6th graders, this is obviously a very low score. At one point mid-second half, we were only up by 2, then 3 and finally 5 and then 7. I felt good. With about 3 minutes left, we were ahead by 5. I began texting one of my best friends who is also a sports mom and actually was the one who brought B1 to this tournament last year when Bruce and I were in Vegas. By the time I got the text typed into my phone, there were only 15 seconds left in the game and we were still ahead by 5. Well, one of the Troy players then made a 3-pointer with 3 seconds left so now we are ahead by 2. Then, our girl inbounds the ball under their basket and they steal it and shoot with 1 second left and make the shot. Game tied. UGH. I never did send that text. I instead called her during the time between regulation and overtime, simply because I needed to tell someone about what was going on!

We played the first 2-minute overtime and at the end of that, the score was still tied (each team scored 1 point in the overtime period). In the second overtime, one of their girls got a technical for guarding our player over the line while she was trying to inbound the ball. So we got foul shots but missed them both. Finally, we were winning by 2 with like 30 seconds to go and ended up just kind of passing the ball around to end the game. It was very exciting. I know the mouths of our players, coaches, and fans were on the floor at the end of regulation though with their 5 points in the last 15 seconds. Wow.

No matter.....it's always nice to beat a team from TROY. I still don't get why they get to call themselves the Knights when we are all Knights when we get to high school. Then again, they've always done stuff like that. Us little Cubs beat those big old Knights! YAY JAKEY HOOPS!!!!! We are proud of YOU! And great game Jordyn Alford (who scored 10 of our 19 points today)! Way to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wohoo! Congratulations B1! Sorry we couldn't make it!

Anonymous said...

Never pick up the equipment until it is over!!!!!

One time I was coaching JV Sb and were up big going into the 7th and my players starting picking up equpiment, and went crazy - theyy thought I was nuts - well they tied the game and we lost in extra inn. needless to say they nevber died that again.

"Don't talk to me while I am hitting fungos!"