Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sushi Anyone?

I bought some sushi tonight at Schnucks in O'Fallon. Well, I think it's sushi. If there is no raw fish in it but it still has the rice and seaweed stuff, is that sushi?

I never thought about tasting this stuff until I went to Japanese Garden with my friend Katie in the summer of 2007. She ordered some kind of roll, maybe a California roll? I can't remember. Anyway, I tasted it and I liked it. I visited this restaurant again back in November with some other teachers and I ordered the California roll for myself. I honestly don't remember what was in it but I know there was no raw fish.

Ever since then, I have been hungry for more sushi. I can't say I've been craving it, but I do have a taste for it once in awhile. So tonight, while B2 was at gymnastics, I did some grocery shopping and this particular Schnucks (which used to be a Hart grocery store) has sushi in their deli area. I bought one called cream cheese sushi. It had cream cheese of course, cucumber, and a little crab meat (I know, I know.....this is fish, but since I love crab legs, I don't consider it to be "gross" like I think raw fish would be) as well as the rice and seaweed stuff (is that really seaweed or some other kind of wrap thing?). Anyway, it came with 12 pieces, the 2 little sauce things, and a packet of soy sauce. I ate 6 of them for dinner tonight and am taking the other 6 in my lunch tomorrow.

Last time I was at this grocery store, I bought a new kind of salad dressing that has the flavors of teriyaki and ginger. I made a salad to go in my lunch tomorrow too that has crunchy chow mein noodles in it. So.....my lunch is going to definitely have an Asian flair tomorrow! Never mind the Girl Scout cookies for dessert! Ha ha!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Have you tried Shogun in Fairview Heights yet? It is a hibachi but they also have sushi.

I love sushi. We have a Sansai restaurant near my work. Once it warms up for the 4 block walk I'll be going for Cali rolls!

Kim said...

Have you tried Shogun in Fairview Heights yet? It is a hibachi but they also have sushi.

I love sushi. We have a Sansai restaurant near my work. Once it warms up for the 4 block walk I'll be going for Cali rolls!

Nancy R said...

I think there's another name for sushi without raw fish...but I'll have to google...

...nevermind, I was thinking of sashimi, which is raw fish with no sticky rice.

The stuff with the crab meat sounds yummy though!

sltbee69 said...

Blah! I can't get past the nasty seaweed taste. Taste like the smell of pond water. Ick! More power to you though. :-)