Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Picture #3

Hubby and I went to the movies tonight to see "What Happens in Vegas." It was cute but not as good as we had hoped it would be. I think we were thinking there would actually be more of VEGAS in it (a place we both love) but only the beginning of the movie was actually set there. But it was a nice night out. We saw the movie at the Lory Theater in Highland, IL. This theater has been there as long as I can remember. Yes, they still use the ticket booth thing out front too. You don't see much of that anymore. Movies here now cost $4.50 (matinees are $3.00) but I remember a time when I believe the theater was about to go belly-up, so they began only charging $1.00. It must have worked; people came back, and now the theater is running fine it seems. And they actually show pretty recent movies too. The other offering right now is "Ironman." This theater used to only have one screen but many years ago, the balcony was closed off and made into a second (much smaller) theater. In grade school (yes, we called it grade school, not elementary school), I remember witnessing a make-out session for the first time. I believe I was in 6th grade and someone's older sister was sitting in the back row with a boy, kissing heavily. We were more interested in watching that than the movie! In high school, we would go to the Lory Theater just for something to do. We didn't care what was showing, we just needed a place to go. I saw "Romancing the Stone", "A Nightmare on Elm Street", and "St. Elmo's Fire" there. Oh yeah, and tonight was free popcorn night too! Yippeee!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see a small town theater still 'hangin' in there.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this post REALLY brings back memories... I spent many an evening (an occasionally an afternoon) in the Lory Theater, watching everything from Grease and Star Wars to Sixteen Candles and Three Men & A Baby. I also had my share of make-out sessions in the back row of both the upstairs and downstairs theaters ;)

My friends and I went there every single weekend just for something to do, too. I remember if the movies were "held over" for a few weeks in a row, we would have no problems seeing them more than once.

... and I can still picture the peeling lead-based paint in the bathroom. Hopefully, they have cleaned that up by now!